Subject: Fathers-Being There
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 07:44:05 +1100

<http://emailblast.bosweb.com.au/bwEMailBlast/tracker/read.asp?ReadID=31
9927> 
Unable to read this email? Please click here
<http://www.bosweb.com.au/bwEMailBlast/view.asp?CampaignMediaID=560&Cont
actID=90915&ContactEmail=[email-masked]> 
 <http://www.bosweb.com.au/email_blast/templates/fathers/header.jpg> 
Issue 169 - 21st November 2005 	Go to our website Here
<http://www.fathersonline.org/> 	 
 
<http://www.bosweb.com.au/email_blast/templates/fathers/inthisissue.jpg>
*	Welcome
*	Grandads
*	Laughter
*	Single Dads
*	Special Feature
*	Thought of the Week
*	Media Release
*	News & Info
*	Dad's Prayer
*	About Us

Welcome

 
<http://www.bosweb.com.au/content/EB3TemplateImages/771/Paul%20Osborne%2
01%20250.jpg> Some weeks ago I received an invitation to speak to a
group of fathers and sons at a local school on 'Faith & Fatherhood'.
The school had recently entered an interschool football competition and
were having an end-of-year father and son football barbecue celebration
to cap the season off.  I immediately suggested that they ask Paul
Osborne to be the main speaker and I would be a supporting speaker.

Who is Paul Osborne?  Good question.  Paul Osborne spent ten years as a
professional rugby league footballer, seven years with St George and
three years with the Canberra Raiders.  In 1994 he played a crucial part
in the Raiders winning the Grand Final, setting up one try and putting
one down himself.  In 1995 he entered the ACT Parliament and spent seven
years there as an Independent, most of the time holding the balance of
power.  Paul has been a commentator with ABC Grandstand for eleven years
and regularly appears on the Channel 9 Footie Show.

I first met Paul Osborne when I was working in Canberra on the Praise
Corroboree, part of the Aboriginal prayer/reconciliation movement in the
nineties.  We asked Paul, as a politician sympathetic to the cause, to
speak at one of our events in Canberra.  Paul brought along three of his
young boys, aged from about three years to six years (Just for the
record Paul has eight children and he tells me number nine is well on
the way, although he blames his wife for this misdemeanour).  When Paul
got up to speak he brought his children to the rostrum and spoke while
his children climbed all over him.  He explained that he could not find
a babysitter and his wife needed a break. Looking at how comfortable he
was, and how much 'his boys' enjoyed being with 'dad', one got the
impression that babysitters were not very welcome in the Osborne home.
A number of times Paul actually stopped his talk to help with his son?s
colouring-in book when he was asked.  I can remember thinking at the
time, 'Some people talk about family values, but here is a man that
believes in family values and lives them out in the open'. In 2003 at
the inaugural National Strategic Conference on Fatherhood at Parliament
House, the Fatherhood Foundation was privileged to give Paul Osborne the
'Fatherhood in Sports' Award. 

When Paul spoke last week at what became the 'Football, Faith and
Fatherhood' night, he told us the background to his match-winning-try in
the 1994 Grand Final and his own personal turmoil as a man and father.
He admits he was a lousy husband and a not-much-better father and how
1994 marked a faith encounter with God that helped transform his life
and make a strong commitment to being the best father and husband he
could be for his family.
<http://www.bosweb.com.au/content/EB3TemplateImages/771/paul%20osborne.g
if> Paul believes that quality time is a lie, and that as a father you
have to be prepared to spend quantity time with your children. He takes
his children everywhere he goes, although he does say it annoys him
sometimes.  Paul Osborne admits he is not a 'perfect father' and often
finds himself saying sorry to his kids and his wife when he has a cranky
outburst or does something wrong.  He believes that a father has to be
honest about his mistakes and committed to his family's betterment.  As
such, he is a hard act to follow because his actions tell the story
better than his words.

Lovework

Hang out with your children!

Warwick, aren't you going to make it more complicated?

No, actions speak louder than words. Hang out with your children!

Yours for just 'being there'

Warwick Marsh 

________________________________________________________

Warwick Marsh  has been married to Alison for 29 years. He is 
the father of five children, four boys and one girl, ranging in 
age from 24 years to 12 years.  Warwick is a musician, 
songwriter, producer and public speaker who likes to think he 
can still laugh at himself.

back to top 

 <http://www.bosweb.com.au/email_blast/templates/fathers/banner.jpg> 

Grandads

 
<http://www.bosweb.com.au/content/EB3TemplateImages/771/vintage-3more-35
0.jpg> 

Old boys have their playthings

as well as young ones;

the difference is only in the price.

Benjamin Franklin

 <http://chadwick-whitlowenterprises.com/piranha/uncleshort2.jpg> 

back to top 

 <http://www.bosweb.com.au/email_blast/templates/fathers/banner.jpg> 

Laughter

 <http://www.bosweb.com.au/content/EB3TemplateImages/771/fathers07.gif> 

 

 

 

	
 Travel Jokes<http://www.ahajokes.com/g/travel.gif> 

Just cut your hair first

A young man comes home and says "Dad, just got my driver's licence and
would like to use the family car."

Father replies, "O.K., son. But, first, you have to get good grades in
school, keep your room clean, make sure the yard is neat, and cut your
hair. Come back in a few months and then we'll see."

Well, several months pass and the young man comes into the house with
his report card in his hand. "Dad, I got great marks on my report card.
I've been keeping my room as neat as a pin, and the yard is always
ship-shape. How about letting me use the car?"

Father replies, "That's all true, but son you didn't cut your hair."

Son says, "But, dad, Jesus had long hair."

Father replies, "Yes, son, you're perfectly right. And he walked
everywhere he went."

back to top 

 <http://www.bosweb.com.au/email_blast/templates/fathers/banner.jpg> 

Single Dads

 
<http://www.bosweb.com.au/content/EB3TemplateImages/771/flustered_man_on
_phone_.jpg>  I Just got off the Phone

  By Tony Miller

I just got off the phone from another dad: devastated, crying, sobbing,
absolutely gutted. "How can the mother of my children be so hurtful? I
don't understand it?, he said between the tears. "I just want to see my
kids. How hard is that?? Yesterday I was counselling one of our guys not
to react. He was receiving abusive SMSs on his mobile that were
particularly distressing to him. Not one but many. He had gone up to the
police station and reported it and was told to just ignore them. Change
your number, he was told. I wonder, if it had been a woman making the
complaint, I reckon he would have an AVO placed upon him before he could
dial 000. Sad isn't it, the way our system works! 

Anyway, here I was telling him not to react. That's what she's looking
for, I told him, for you to react. And then the next day I get an email
from a woman who said, "When you men can do a tenth of what a mother
does for her child, and hold down a job to boot, then get up and say
something. Until then, check how you treated your ex-wives and what you
can do to be a better husband and keep your aggressiveness to those who
are stupid enough to listen.! Well what did I do? I reacted. Lesson
learnt!

It's this very thing that gets most of us males in trouble. We react. In
a lot of cases our ex-partners have learnt where all our buttons are,
and exactly how to press them to get the reaction they want. It's how we
react to that button pushing that gets us in trouble! I know of many
cases where a guy has been pushed and shoved or smacked across the face
or kicked in the 'you-know-whats' and his natural reaction is to defend
himself. It only takes a shove, a smack and 'bingo', regardless of self
defence, you're gone. AVO time! Yet try it from the other angle. Imagine
a male walking into a police station complaining of his wife assaulting
him. What do you think would happen? They laugh at him. 

Today is White Ribbon Day which is an International Day for the
Elimination Of Violence Against Woman, with the aim of the campaign to
include men and boys in the effort to end gender-based violence. In
their press statement Unifem and Womenspeak state that men who choose to
wear a white ribbon recognise the role they have to play in ending
violence against women, and acknowledge that they too will benefit from
a world free of violence against women. A world that is based on gender
equality. 

Recently I was told by a dad how his wife had stabbed him several times
after being embroiled in an argument, She had threatened to kill him and
also the children. Neighbours had heard the commotion and police and
ambulance were called. As they were loading dad into the ambulance, he
frantically pleaded with police to protect his children. The officers
stated that they had settled mum down and that all would be OK. All he
could think of on the way to the hospital was, were his kids going to be
alive when he got out! What do you think would happen if this story was
the other way around and it was mum being loaded into the ambulance! It
doesn't take much imagination does it. Six months later this same woman
served gaol time for pulling a gun on and threatening to shoot her ex
and family. 

Dads in Distress Inc deplores violence of any kind. We simply state that
there are three sides to any story, his, hers and the truth. We try and
come to that truth within our meetings. I believe these ribbons should
be black and white, because believe it or not the system isn't, and
until we get some fairness and some understanding, it never will be.
There is pain on both sides of the fence. Yes, there are dads out there
that shouldn't be, and believe it or not there are mums in the same
category. Violence is perpetrated against both sides and we need to
recognise that before we can have gender equality because it's by no
means equal at the moment. Being a male and especially a dad in today's
society is fraught with danger. Sad isn't it . . . .?

Tony Miller dids

[email-masked]   

www.dadsindistress.asn.au <http://www.dadsindistress.asn.au/>
back to top 

 <http://www.bosweb.com.au/email_blast/templates/fathers/banner.jpg> 

Special Feature

Family Law Reform 2005 - 1996 Revisited
<http://www.bosweb.com.au/content/EB3TemplateImages/771/phillip_ruddock.
jpg> 

by Ian Windsor

I thought readers might be interested in Mr Ruddock's Family Law
information session at Parliament House held on 13 October 2005. It was
a hard sell on the merits of shared parenting responsibility and the
Family Relationship Centres. I must admit that his stirring rendition
and those of his ministerial chums failed to enthuse me. 

The new measures we were told are intended to enable children to
continue to have meaningful contact with their fathers after separation
and reduce litigation and consequently reduce the need for lawyers. No
one could reasonably disagree with this, however some of the glaring
problems in the old system have been glossed over and I fear more of the
same will plague yet another generation of single dads and their kids.

Unfortunately, the proposed changes to the FLA in relation to custody
and mediation are a re-iteration of the failed 1996 amendments. The
recent changes involve new procedures and changes to terminology but do
not address the crucial issue of dads being allowed to share equally in
the raising of their own kids. The new system, prima facie, will still
require the mother's consent.

Instead of hard legislation to correct the inequities and inadequacies
of the existing system Mr Ruddock's merely 'hopes' (as we all hope) that
parents will use commonsense to make the new system work. Even blind
Freddie can see that without disincentives to lessen greed and malice,
the system won't work. A parent, acting entirely out of self-interest,
can still hijack the system and walk away with the bootie. 

It appears that Mr Ruddock and his committee still don't understand the
term 'rebuttable' in relation to shared custody. He shares the same
understanding as the anti-fatherhood movement that the rebuttable
presumption of shared custody is 'a one size fits all regime'. In an
earlier Radio National interview he cites the case of a sailor from WA
who would be treated badly by having shared custody foisted upon him,
and by extrapolation, upon all other men whose work and travel would
cause lengthy absences from home. Instead his parliamentary committee
came up with the 'user friendly' term 'shared parenting responsibility',
which is the unworkable model we've had for the last thirty years. 

Logically, shared parenting mediation for separating parents in the new
system, can occur only from a position where shared custody is presumed.
Further, if shared custody isn't possible, then it should be rebutted by
the parents in agreement and only for good reason, which in all cases
must be in the children's best interests. Mr Ruddock's sailor might be a
good example here. However, if no good reason exists, then it cannot and
should not be rebutted. To accept less than shared custody for no good
reason is for a father to abrogate his responsibility for sharing the
upbringing of his children. 

Spitefulness, financial gain, intimidation, lifestyle choice, refusal to
get a job or education, and out-dated gender role stereotypes on the
mother's part can hardly be considered good reasons for denying the
father his responsibility for physically sharing the raising of their
children.

The only workable solution to the child custody imbroglio is the
hitherto rejected proposition in favour of the rebuttable presumption of
shared custody. There are no logical, rational, sensible arguments
against this proposition because it covers every conceivable contingency
including Mr Ruddock's sailor. It would put paid to all the nonsense
that goes on when power is given to one parent who then behaves badly
causing undue legal expense and considerable anguish to the other parent
and children.

The paramountacy of the children's best interests, in effect however,
makes the final legislation irrelevant. The parent's responsibility is
to draw up a parenting plan that doesn't reflect the whims, ideology or
hidden agendas of either parent or mediator. Even with the weak shared
parenting proposition, good fathers who meet the 'eligibility
requirements' ought to be able to make a fair fist of gaining 50/50
custody with a little help and hard work but there is still no
certainty.

Complex and difficult cases will most likely still require a judicial
decision. However, in most cases where a father has assessed his
eligibility against his ex-partner, which includes parenting competency,
work arrangements, housing and other practical matters, and where no
issues exist that would preclude him from equally sharing custody, then
he should suggest equal custody at mediation and stick to it. 

A refusal by the other party resulting in unnecessary litigation should
have a cost application made against them which may well act as a
deterrent for not co-operating in the first place. Similarly, false and
unsubstantiated accusations of family violence and child abuse resulting
in unnecessary and costly litigation and anguish should see costs made
against the accuser.  

Family Court judges and Federal Court magistrates in the main are
reasonable, decent people. They will listen to sensible arguments and
give you what you reasonably ask for. However, you have to ask, and
present all the relevant facts. In my experience, intelligent litigants
who represent themselves, thereby speaking directly to the judge, do
better that those with a lawyer.

Incompetent lawyers lose winnable cases. Judges make determinations on
the evidence before them. Shoddily prepared and poorly presented cases
cause judges to use their discretionary powers when making orders.
Sadly, however, I know of too many winnable cases that have been lost by
laid back lawyers, and others that were both winnable and well presented
which resulted in shocking, wrongful decisions that were entirely
contrary to the evidence before the court. 

Universal acknowledgement of the need for children to have a fully
participating father has almost dawned. However, unless good women and
men insist on equal parenting responsibilities now, Mr Ruddock's reforms
are merely a case of 1996 revisited with a few baubles and name changes
thrown in as sweeteners. 

I'd be interested to get some feedback, but please no horror stories
from the past. I'm interested in hearing from recently separated fathers
to find out where you are up to in these uncertain times, and if I can
help. I am interested solely in helping fathers get their kids as I have
been for the past 16 years. 

Ian Windsor

Ph: (02) 6259 1026

Skype: irwinb

Email: [email-masked] 

back to top 

 <http://www.bosweb.com.au/email_blast/templates/fathers/banner.jpg> 

Thought of the Week

 
<http://www.bosweb.com.au/content/EB3TemplateImages/771/dad%20son%20hunt
ing.jpg> 

My Dad and I hunted and fished together.

How could I get angry at this man

who took time to be with me?

James Dobson

back to top 

 <http://www.bosweb.com.au/email_blast/templates/fathers/banner.jpg> 

Media Release

Integrity Alliance - Call for Action

MEDIA RELEASE

Urgent Call for Government to Implement Mandatory National Filtering of
Pornography at ISP Level
<http://www.bosweb.com.au/content/EB3TemplateImages/771/computer%20%20fi
lter.gif> 

The Integrity Alliance is a newly formed coalition of groups such as,
Advocacy and Relief for Children, the Fatherhood Foundation and the
Australian Family Association. These are just a few of the organisations
and individuals that are working together to help renew sexual integrity
in Australia. Many of these groups met for the first time at the Sexual
Integrity Forum, August 2005, Parliament House, Canberra. www.sif.org.au
<http://www.sif.org.au/>   Dr Mary Anne Layden, world renowned authority
on sexual abuse, said at the Sexual Integrity Forum, 'There has been a
dramatic increase in pornography use in recent years with the internet
piping it 24/7 into homes in harder and more pathological forms in a
venue children know better how to use than adults'.

*	 Sexual assault has increased by almost 30% since 1999.
*	
	 Men in prison for sexual assault have doubled since 1988.
*	
	 84% of boys and 60% of girls have had exposure to internet
pornography.
*	
	Dr Michael Schwartz says, 'Sex on the net is like heroin
addiction, it grabs people and takes over their lives'.
*	
	One American survey found that 56% of aggrieved spouses claim an
obsession with internet porn ruined their marriage.
*	
	A divorce lawyer said that, 'The computer is the fastest growing
threat to marriage I have seen in 34 years'.
*	
	Research indicates that 70% of the hits on internet sex sites
occur between 9-5 on business computers.
*	
	One ISP executive said that it was estimated that 70% of
downloaded volumes to households is pornographic.
*	
	Evidence indicates that all men who commit violent sex crimes
use pornography
*	
	One in three girls and one in six boys are the victims of
paedophiles.
*	
	Child sexual assault is costing Australia at least $7.6 billion
per year.
*	
	NSW Police Commissioner Ken Moroney says that child sexual
assault is a national epidemic

Warwick Marsh of the Fatherhood Foundation said, 'A child is abused
every 13 minutes in Australia, 40,000 a year. Two thirds of sex crimes
are committed against our children. The explosion of Internet
pornography is fuelling the epidemic of child sexual assault. The time
has come to draw the line on Internet porn'.

Mary-Louise Fowler from the Australian Family Association said, "All
other forms of media have government regulation. Why can't the Internet?
This is not just about protecting women and children. Men are exploited
through pornography as well".

Ross Wilson from the Integrity Alliance said, "The time has come for the
government to regulate the Internet for the common good of all
Australians. Our children are the ones that are suffering. We call on
Australians everywhere to contact their local Federal Member of
Parliament www.aph.gov.au <http://www.aph.gov.au/>    and insist the
Government act now to protect our children".

Ross Wilson - Integrity Alliance - 07 3808 9448 - 0411 153 617 -
www.integrity.org.au <http://www.integrity.org.au/>               

Warwick Marsh - Fatherhood Foundation: www.fathersonline.org
<http://www.fathersonline.org/>   02 4272 6677 - 0418 225 212 -
www.sif.org.au <http://www.sif.org.au/>                         

Mary-Louise Fowler - The Australian Family Assoc NSW - 02 6383 4242 -
www.family.org.au <http://www.family.org.au/>   

back to top 

 <http://www.bosweb.com.au/email_blast/templates/fathers/banner.jpg> 

News & Info

 

<http://www.abb.com/global/seapr/seapr035.nsf/0/37fadee270def7ebc1256f48
004d3970/$file/NewspaperReader_195.jpg>
<http://images.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://www.liebermanart.com/f
eaturedart/ruggieri/reader.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.liebermanart.com/fea
turedart/ruggieri/ruggieri.html&h=288&w=237&sz=24&tbnid=iH0_KX9-uTMJ:&tb
nh=110&tbnw=90&hl=en&start=15&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dnewspaper%2Breader%26sv
num%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D> 

 

 <http://www.unifem.org/images_templates/november25/homepagelogo.jpg> 

Public Announcement

The Fatherhood Foundation is a strong supporter of White Ribbon Day,
25th November 2005, an international day for the elimination of Violence
Against Women. The Fatherhood Foundation condemns violence against women
in any way whatsoever and commends the organisers of the day in their
efforts to end violence against women. A good father is a gentle man,
and a good gentle man is a man that believes violence against women is
unacceptable. The Fatherhood Foundation is a harm prevention charity and
we believe that the best way to prevent harm is to inspire men to be the
best fathers in the world. The greatest thing a father can do for his
children is to love their mother. Love is the greatest force in the
universe and forgiveness is the handmaiden of love. Perfect love casts
out all fear.

Having said this, the Fatherhood Foundation is well aware of the gender
bias within the court system that assumes that all men are guilty unless
proven innocent. Not all men are violent to women. A small minority of
men are violent and an equally small minority of women are also
perpetrators of family violence. Tony Miller, Dads in Distress, has an
excellent article on this subject in the Fathersonline Newsletter -
Issue 170, 28th November 2005. The reality is that evil is not a
characteristic of a particular gender. As Bettina Arndt says, "No gender
has a monopoly on vice". The Fatherhood Foundation is very keen to
support equality from all points of view. In August 2005, the Fatherhood
Foundation held the first ever 'Sexual Integrity Forum' in Parliament
House, which had as its main goal: 'to promote quality relationships
between men and women for the purpose of ending the sexual exploitation
of women and children in Australia in the 21st Century'. Pornography is
exploitative by nature and it demeans women and commodifies sex. The
increase of pornography, especially violent pornography on the internet,
is causing an increase of violence against women. The Fatherhood
Foundation believes that if people are going to eliminate violence
against women, they must also work to eliminate and wind back the causes
of that violence. These include: pornography, child sexual abuse,
alcohol, drugs, family breakdown and fatherlessness. Fatherlessness has
been shown to be a significant contributor to violence against women and
in society in general. We need to rediscover and teach old fashioned
values such as honour, humility, integrity, self control, faithfulness,
unselfishness, gentleness and kindness. We need to support and
strengthen Australian fathers through fatherhood mentoring courses.
Prevention is much better than cure. That is why the Fatherhood
Foundation calls on all those who advocate to prevent violence against
women to join with the Fatherhood Foundation in their struggle to turn
the tide of fatherlessness and the proliferation of pornography that
contributes to violence against women.

Letters

More encouragement for Alby Schultz

Dear Mr Schultz

I wanted to write and thank you for the work that you do in sticking up
for the Fathers who are struggling with the hopelessness of being in the
grip of the Family Law Court.  I have read a lot about the steps you
take to help these men out in the weekly email that I receive from the
Fatherhood Foundation.  You are a credit to your constituents and a
blessing to all those men who have been fortunate enough to give you a
call.  I have been married for eighteen months and although I don't have
any kids myself, I am thankful for the work you do and just wanted to
write and say thanks.

Warm regards

David Richards

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

Dear Fatherhood Foundation

I've seen your ads on TV over the last few weeks with the girls talking
about how much they love their dads - and how much their dads love them
back.

My dad died about 6 weeks ago after a 2 year battle with cancer. He was
beautiful and I miss him like I never imagined I would. I miss so many
things about him! - every time I see your ads my heart breaks all over
again and I start to cry. I wonder if you might point me in the
direction of an organization that is focussed on the grief of losing a
dad! 

I wish your organization every success in encouraging dads across
Australia to be the kind of dad mine was!..

Thanks,

Loretta

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

Dear Fatherhood Foundation.

I have been reading many of your emails and noticed that a lot of people
have seen your commercials on TV. I live in Melbourne and have not yet
seen any of these on the major networks. If you are to be serious about
making the public aware of the effects of marriage break-downs and
fatherless-ness in our country, we need to make the greater public aware
of this. I think that all of our issues are just getting thrown on the
back burner again while the government continues on with more important
things like, changing our working conditions. How much longer are our
children going to suffer because our government REALLY does not give a
damn about them? Our children are just pawns for power hungry people
such as my ex-wife, and maybe the government might re-open these issues
once again when another election comes around just to win the hearts of
suckers like us.

Joe.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * 

Dear Father Foundation,

Thankyou for everything you're doing in the community to try and broaden
girls relationships with their fathers. It's great....except that you're
forgetting one thing. Some girls don't have fathers, my best friend for
instance. She lost her father when she was little as he died of cancer.
I have many other friends with fathers whom have passed away or have
left them and that they are unable to have a relationship with. I know
my best friend, for instance, cries each time your fatherhood ad comes
on. She gets incredibly upset and then gets angry. Think about people
like my friend who may get upset by this ad. Please consider everyone
and please could you possibly take the ad off television.....some people
are less fortunate in ways. Please could you please write back!! This is
urgent and you need some realisation. 

Regards

Sarah

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

Dear Fatherhood Foundation

I was wondering if you realise just how much harm your sickly sweet ads
are doing? 

There are children out there whose fathers don't give a damn about them
and it's left to the mothers to comfort these children after these ads.
It reinforces that there must be something wrong with them that their
fathers don't love them like the fathers in these ads. These are the
kids who regularly have their dreams and hopes shattered each birthday
and each Christmas when sometimes their only wish is for a visit from
their father. 

They have problems at school when they are the only one who can't tell
stories connected with their fathers. 

Maybe your ads should be directed at these fathers. Show these fathers
the faces of their unloved and unwanted children waiting for a telephone
call at Christmas or on their birthday and the effect that their
selfishness has on these children.

Or maybe you should direct your ads at the fathers who think domestic
violence is a way of life and that women and children should shut their
mouths and cower in the corner.

Or maybe you should direct your ads at the fathers who think that
alcohol or drugs are more important then feeding or clothing their
children.

Show reality and solutions instead of sickly sweet ads (reminiscent of
the unrealistic happy family TV serials of the fifties and sixties) that
make you want to vomit.

In all sincerity

Michele

* * * * * * * * * * * * * 

Dear Fatherhood Foundation 

I have been watching your advertisements on television. I understand the
importance of valuing the role of fathers in our lives. I do not have
any issues with the advertisements, however in one of them the final
message is that "all daughters need a father". My daughter, who is 10
years old, has been upset by this particular message and I promised her
I would write to you to pass on her message. She has had no contact with
her father since she was a baby. Therefore she does not know him. I
wanted him to have the contact but he decided to not have any contact at
all. She is very sensitive to not having her father around however,
generally copes very well. She has male figures in her life that she
looks up to. 

My daughter has an issue with that particular message because it sends
the message to her that she "needs" a father. Because she does not have
her father around then she gets the idea that there is something wrong
with her because of this message. She said that it would be the same if
the message was about mothers because some children do not have their
mother around. She does not have an issue with the advertisements
themselves - just with that message. 

I think that the message you are trying to give is a very important one.
I hope my daughter has someone around one day that she can refer to as
her father. However I cannot guarantee that for her, and in the meantime
she is left with her mother only. 

The last time she saw that message she turned the television off and ran
to her room crying. This is how much it has affected her. 

I thought that it is important that you receive feedback about this as
did my daughter. She understands the importance of fathers but questions
the fact that she "needs" one in order to be a stable well-adjusted
person. This would be the same for mothers. It is important for children
to have people in their lives who love and care for them whether they be
fathers, mothers, relatives etc. 

Thank you for your time to read this message. 

Kathryn

back to top 

 <http://www.bosweb.com.au/email_blast/templates/fathers/banner.jpg> 

Dad's Prayer

 
<http://www.intangibility.com/Photography/Collections/GP/GP_197-Top-Spur
-2/GP_197_11-%5Bweb%5D.jpg> 

Dear God

It's a pleasure to be your son.

I like hanging out with you.

It's great to walk in the rainforest together.

It's great to be with you when I'm alone,

out in the surf on a big day

(which is not very often these days).

It's great to be with you 

in the middle of a storm,

when the earth shakes at the crack of your thunder.

It's great to be with you 

when I am with my children (your grandchildren)

Hanging out doing silly things . . . 

I can't think of anything better to do!

back to top 

 <http://www.bosweb.com.au/email_blast/templates/fathers/banner.jpg> 

About Us

Mission Statement & Help Us!

 
<http://www.bosweb.com.au/email_blast/client_images/fathers_issue163-10t
h%20October,2005_Foundation%20Logo%20180.jpg> 
Mission Statement 

The Fatherhood Foundation is a charitable, non profit incorporated
association with a goal to inspire men to a greater level of excellence
as fathers, by encouraging and educating them, thereby renewing and
empowering families.

Click here for more information about us
<http://www.bosweb.com.au/email_blast/rr.asp?s=3393&v=300&c=21&u=http://
www.ausheart.com.au/fathers/about/index.html>  

Help Us!

The Fatherhood Foundation believes that the key to life is giving.
That's why this newsletter is given freely without expectation.  Life is
also about relationships.  That's what being a good father is all about,
developing relationships with your loved ones.
 
If you would like to give financially to the Fatherhood Foundation,
please mail your cheque or money order to:
Fatherhood Foundation
PO Box 440
WOLLONGONG  NSW  2520
AUSTRALIA

You have received the fathersonline.org newsletter because you have
subscribed, or you have been subscribed by a friend.  If you do not wish
to receive future emails, please click the UNSUBSCRIBE button below or
send an email to [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the subject heading.

back to top 

	Click Here to Unsubscribe
<http://emailblast.bosweb.com.au/bwEMailBlast/optout/?CampaignID=556&Con
tactID=90915>