Subject: Battle for Our nation
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 May 2006 09:45:13 +1000

<http://emailblast.bosweb.com.au/bwEMailBlast/tracker/read.asp?ReadID=55
8357> 
Unable to read this email? Please click here
<http://www.bosweb.com.au/bwEMailBlast/view.asp?CampaignMediaID=862&Cont
actID=90915&ContactEmail=[email-masked]> 
 <http://www.bosweb.com.au/email_blast/templates/fathers/header.jpg> 
Issue 182 - 20th February,2006 	Go to our website Here
<http://www.fathersonline.org/> 	 
 
<http://www.bosweb.com.au/email_blast/templates/fathers/inthisissue.jpg>
*	Welcome Warwick
*	Grandads
*	Laughter
*	Single Dads
*	All you need is Love
*	Thought of the Week
*	Special Feature
*	News & Info
*	Dad's Prayer
*	About Us

Welcome Warwick

 
<http://www.bosweb.com.au/content/EB3TemplateImages/771/Trapped%20underg
round.jpg> The courage,determination and mateship shown by our two
friends at the Beaconsfield mine has been extraordinary.I say friends
because it feels like they have become part of our family through the
extensive media coverage of their ordeal. We all know about their every
move through amazing technological breakthroughs that have brought us
up-to-the-minute reports of their courage in the face of adversity. 

The Aussie men who fought on the Kokoda Track in World War II did not
have the privilege of the same level of communication, but they are
still part of our national family heritage and deserve the same respect.
Last week I told you how I went with one of my sons and a friend to see
the movie 'Kokoda' on ANZAC Day. The reviewers gave it five stars and
for once they got it right. It really is a first rate account, although
just a microcosm of the battle as opposed to the full story. The full
story takes up 490 pages in Peter Fitzsimmons masterful bestselling
narrative called 'Kokoda'. Violence is not something that excites me.
The reality of war is shocking, but the movie does not try to hide the
facts of war. I believe it gives an accurate portrayal of the shocking
conditions that our men fought under in Papua New Guinea in World War II
and their ultimate victory. Most of them were teenagers, badly trained
and poorly equipped. At times the enemy outnumbered them by ten to one.
The Japanese were far better trained and equipped and had known no
previous defeats in their devastating battle march through Asia. The
fact that the Australians won the battle on the Kokoda track and stopped
the Japanese is a feat that is almost beyond belief. Even the Japanese
could not believe the bravery of the Australian soldiers. One old
Japanese soldier recounted to Paul Ham, author of another book 'Kokoda',
'Never, not in the entire war, had we encountered fighting men as brave
as your Australians.'

Col Stringer has written a great book called, 'Restoring Manhood'. In it
he quotes a young Aussie Digger who wrote, "I prayed a lot, I believe in
prayer. I knew my parents and grandparents were praying for me so that
helped me lot. And of course, I had my mates. When you have good
friends, good mates, you don't leave them. It was a brotherhood. We got
a message from Port Moresby that . . . we had to stay there and fight to
the death. That was horrifying. I thought, 'Well, I won't see my family
again, I won't see Australia again.' But I was prepared, like the rest
of us, to stay there and fight to the finish."

What was the motivation, what turned these young ?teenagers? into
courageous fighting men? Men who inflicted the first defeat on the
hitherto invincible Japanese Army? To answer that question let me quote
the young men?s officer Phil Roden, from the book ?The Spirit of
Kokoda?,

"I?d like them to be remembered as a group of men who stood up to be
counted when the chips were down, and who fought to save their country
from what was deemed then to be a threat. And they didn?t think twice
about doing it. Some gave their lives doing it. I?d like them to be
thought of as good parents, good fathers, good husbands and as good
Australians who were there for the welfare of all people in Australia." 

If these young men with the Anzac Spirit
<http://www.bosweb.com.au/content/EB3TemplateImages/771/resized_soldier.
jpg> could make a stand for their families why can't we? Maybe because
the battle today is far more subtle. It is both a natural battle and a
spiritual battle. The battle today involves the restoration of the
importance of our relationships, over our material needs and egos. It is
a battle for truth and foundational values that is most often fought
deep within a man's soul, but it is a battle that we must not shrink
from. It is a battle that must be fought by one man at a time, one
father at a time, one family at a time and one community at a time. The
odds against us are great. If we do not win this battle we could well
lose our nation and our families. We can take encouragement from the
monument on the Kokoda Track that well sums up the qualities we need to
win the battle for Australia which is really the battle for our hearts -
'Courage, mateship, sacrifice and determination'. We can also take
courage from the Beaconsfield miners and their miracle rescue, which
shows that these same characteristics are still in good supply in
Australia today.

Lovework

Thank God for your forefathers and their bravery on the Kokoda track
because without them it is highly unlikely that you and I, and your
family, would be here today. Check out www.kokodathemovie.com.au
<http://www.kokodathemovie.com.au/>   if you are game. Read one of the
books about Kokoda, or, if you are really keen, do the walk with your
children across the Owen Stanleys to experience first hand the challenge
of the Kokoda Track.

Yours for the battle for our nation

Warwick Marsh
________________________________________ 

Warwick Marsh  has been married to Alison for 30 years. He is 
the father of five children, four boys and one girl, ranging in 
age from 25 years to 13 years.  Warwick is a musician, 
songwriter, producer and public speaker who likes to think he 
can still laugh at himself.

back to top 

 <http://www.bosweb.com.au/email_blast/templates/fathers/banner.jpg> 

Grandads

 

<http://www.bosweb.com.au/content/EB3TemplateImages/771/tribute.jpg> 

The battle for the Kokoda Track is Australia's Alamo.  If Gallipoli
symbolises the Anzac Spirit in WWI, the Kokoda is its WWII equivalent. .
. They died so young. They missed so much. They gave up so much: their
hopes, their dreams, and their loved ones. They laid down their lives
that their friends might live. Greater love hath no man than this.

Patrick Lindsay

Author of 'The Spirit of Kokoda'

back to top 

 <http://www.bosweb.com.au/email_blast/templates/fathers/banner.jpg> 

Laughter

 <http://www.bosweb.com.au/content/EB3TemplateImages/771/grandma.gif> 

One day, a little girl is sitting and watching her mother do the dishes
at the kitchen sink. She suddenly notices that her mother has several
strands of white hair sticking out in contrast to her brunette hair. 

She looks at her mother and inquisitively asks, "Why are some of your
hairs white, Mom?" 

Her mother replied, "Well, every time that you do something wrong and
make me cry or unhappy, one of my hairs turns white." 

The little girl thought about this revelation for a while and then
asked, "Momma, how come all of grandma's hairs are white?" 

  ___________________________________________________

Rick, fresh out of accounting school, went to a interview for a good
paying job. The company boss asked various questions about him and his
education, but then asked him, "What is three tim
<http://www.bosweb.com.au/content/EB3TemplateImages/771/accountant%201.g
if> es seven?" 

"22," Rick replied. After he left, he double-checked it on his
calculator (he *knew* he should have taken it to the interview!) and
realized he wouldn't get the job. 

About two weeks later, he got a letter that said he was hired for the
job! He was not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, but was still
very curious. The next day, he went in and asked why he got the job,
even though he got such a simple question wrong. 

The boss shrugged and said, "Well, you were the closest." 

   ________________________________________________

New Car Fuel Gauge

<http://www.bosweb.com.au/content/EB3TemplateImages/771/fuel_guage.jpg> 

back to top 

 <http://www.bosweb.com.au/email_blast/templates/fathers/banner.jpg> 

Single Dads

  <http://www.bosweb.com.au/content/EB3TemplateImages/771/miners_1.jpg> 

Trapped in the Glass Cellar

by James Adams

Once they are rescued, the miners will still be trapped. These men will
still be trapped in the 'Glass Cellar' of one of the worst jobs. 

What are the worst jobs? The dirty, dangerous jobs: the jobs with long
shifts or deep underground or miles away from anywhere, the miners, the
garbage collectors, pub bouncers, late-night truckies, early rising farm
labourers, miners, construction workers. Our soldiers in Iraq. The low
status jobs that you wouldn't want to tell your mum about. These are the
jobs where employees are regularly injured and killed. Men's jobs in
men's industries. 

In Australia, almost 95% of people killed at work are men (National
Occupational Health and Safety Commission). Three-quarters injured are
men. 

Like the miners, these are usually loyal, hard-working men putting up
with hard yakka to pay the mortgage and support their kids. Sometimes
they're poorly educated men with few choices. 

But always men making sacrifices for their families and their futures.
Like the 'glass ceiling' these men are caught under the 'glass cellar'. 

These are the jobs that drive our economy; these are jobs that need to
be done. The men who do them, quietly and without complaint. These men
are our unsung heroes. 

Don't pretend that men like it this way. Men don't like risking their
lives underground, being garbage collectors, digging roads or dealing
with brawling drunks as security. They do it because our sexist society
reserves these worst jobs for men. Society demands that men support
themselves and their families and the mortgage. Dads work long and hard
to support their families. So they do the hard yakka and don't complain.
But when they sleep, our dads dream about having a clean job, a safe
job, and the work-life balance that their wives have. 

James Adams

Sydney 0417 258 364, 02 9282 3836

Media - www.Fathers4equality-Australia.org
<http://www.fathers4equality-australia.org/>  

[email-masked]

Figures from http://nosi2.nohsc.gov.au/ 

National Occupational Health and Safety Commission 

"Family law is broken . . . Kids need both parents"

Please feel free to re-publish anything in this email. 

Attributing it to Fathers4Equality or myself would be appreciated :-)

back to top 

 <http://www.bosweb.com.au/email_blast/templates/fathers/banner.jpg> 

All you need is Love

  

REALLY GOOD ADVICE ON ROMANCE
<http://www.bosweb.com.au/content/EB3TemplateImages/771/giving%20roses.j
pg> 

NEVER GOES OUT OF STYLE

New York, NY (Apr. 26, 2006) - Who says self-help books merely follow
fads? A much-loved classic of couples' therapy advice climbed to the #2
spot on Amazon's Top Selling Book List this week, more than 18 years
after its original publication. Getting the Love You Want: A Guide For
Couples by Dr. Harville Hendrix keeps proving the popularity of its
enduring wisdom by continually popping up on the best-sellers lists,
including The New York Times.

What is it this book has that the others don't? Ask Oprah. Oprah Winfrey
is a strong advocate of Imago, calling Dr. Hendrix "one of the best
couples' therapists I know." In fact, Winfrey picked Hendrix's first
appearance on her show to include in her "Top 20 Moments" from the
show's entire 20-year run, and calls Hendrix's work "life-changing." Dr.
Hendrix made his 16th appearance on Oprah! Apr. 19, where he confronted
an abusive husband with astonishing results, in a segment entitled
'Ending the Cycle of Violence'. 

Oprah is not the only fan, however. Alanis Morissette is so enthusiastic
about the Imago process, she has completed training as an Imago Therapy
Educator. "I'm so grateful to Imago," said Morissette in a public
service announcement she recently recorded. "There's a comfort in
knowing that I'm not alone and that there are many other couples that
are experiencing similar conflicts. It really allowed me to reframe what
love meant."

 

Imago's enduring appeal springs from its uniquely practical approach to
relationship education, developed by Hendrix and his personal and
professional partner, Dr. Helen LaKelly Hunt.  Using simple tools that
anyone can grasp, the Imago process strengthens existing relationships
and provides couples with the ability to heal their own childhood wounds
to build joyful, healthful lives together.  Another benefit is that
Imago helps parents raise their children in the safe context of a stable
relationship; children who grow up to contribute to a better and safer
world.

Imago Relationships International is a non-profit organization that
supports a network of 2,000 certified Imago couples therapists, and 80
Workshop Presenters. Imago co-founders and co-creators Harville Hendrix
and Helen LaKelly Hunt, whose bestselling books on building loving
relationships have sold millions of copies worldwide, established IRI in
2002 in order to help fulfill their mission of transforming the world
one relationship at a time.

For more information, visit: http://www.gettingtheloveyouwant.com
<http://www.gettingtheloveyouwant.com/>  

From Smartmarriages

To SUBSCRIBE to this Free e-newlist, or use the form at
(http://www.smartmarriages.com <http://www.smartmarriages.com/>  ).
Click Newsletter - in the column under the puzzle piece.

back to top 

 <http://www.bosweb.com.au/email_blast/templates/fathers/banner.jpg> 

Thought of the Week

 

<http://www.bosweb.com.au/content/EB3TemplateImages/771/IsuravaMemorialA
ugust02.jpg> 

Courage, Endurance, 

Sacrifice and Mateship

Words inscribed on 

Memorial - Kokoda Trail

Papua New Guinea

back to top 

 <http://www.bosweb.com.au/email_blast/templates/fathers/banner.jpg> 

Special Feature

Fatherhood
<http://www.bosweb.com.au/content/EB3TemplateImages/771/Peter%20Sellers.
jpg> 

By Josh Reid

The recent film about the life of Peter Sellers inspired me to think
about fatherhood experiences. 

Although the main focus of the film was not on this issue, it was an
underlying theme. The film also ended with credits stating how he left
only $2000 to each of his children, while his fourth wife inherited the
rest of his millions. I thought this was such a waste. Imagine that
instead of all that money going to his descendants, it went to a
stranger. - Apparently the day he died he was on his way to cut his
fourth wife out of his will...(too late she cried!). But it is not just
the money which was wasted, it was what else he left his children. Peter
Sellers was an incredibly talented man, who apparently never grew up.
Imagine if he could have matured and passed on some of his wisdom and
experiences to his children. What if he could have discussed his
mistakes with them and passed on the lessons he had learnt from them. In
the end his children who, (as children will constantly and
unquestionably do), still loved him, received neither fortune of money
nor fortune of a father's wisdom.

In contrast I started to think of James Packer and what his father
passed onto him. Not only a kingly fortune, but also a kingly portion of
character and wisdom. This son of a great man jumped right into the
driver's seat of his fathers company and started leading the way
immediately. 

What a contrast between these two fathers. Imagine being the child of
one, and then the child of the other. What difference would that have
made in your own life? For that matter, what has your father passed onto
you, and what are you passing on to your own children?

I came across this poem last week by W. Livingstone Larned, as printed
in Readers Digest as well as in How to Win Friends and Influence People,
by Dale Carnegie. I thought it was very pertinent to both fathers and
mothers of today. As I listened to this poem being read it brought tears
to my eyes and a challenge to my heart.

FATHER FORGETS

W. Livingston Larned

Listen, son: I am saying this as you lie asleep, one little paw curled
under your cheek and the blond curls stickily wet on your damp forehead.
I have stolen into your room alone. Just a few minutes ago, as I sat
reading my paper in the library, a stifling wave of remorse swept over
me. Guiltily I came to your bedside.

These are the things I was thinking, son: I had been cross to you. I
scolded you as you were dressing for school because you gave your face
merely a dab with a towel. I took you to task for not cleaning your
shoes. I called out angrily when you threw some of your things on the
floor.

At breakfast I found fault, too. You spilled things. You gulped down
your food. You put your elbows on the table. You spread butter too thick
on your bread. And as you started off to play and I made for my train,
you turned and waved a hand and called, "Goodbye, Daddy!" and I frowned,
and said in reply, "Hold your shoulders back!"

Then it began all over again in the late afternoon. As I came up the
road I spied you, down on your knees, playing marbles. There were holes
in your stockings. I humiliated you before your boyfriends by marching
you ahead of me to the house. Stockings were expensive - and if you had
to buy them you would be more careful! Imagine that, son, from a father!

Do you remember, later, when I was reading in the library, how you came
in timidly, with a sort of hurt look in your eyes? When I glanced up
over my paper, impatient at the interruption, you hesitated at the door.
"What is it you want?" I snapped.

You said nothing, but ran across in one tempestuous plunge, and threw
your arms around my neck and kissed me, and your small arms tightened
with an affection that God had set blooming in your heart and which even
neglect could not wither. And then you were gone, pattering up the
stairs.

Well, son, it was shortly afterwards that my paper slipped from my hands
and a terrible sickening fear came over me. What has habit been doing to
me? The habit of finding fault, of reprimanding - this was my reward to
you for being a boy. It was not that I did not love you; it was that I
expected too much of youth. I was measuring you by the yardstick of my
own years.

And there was so much that was good and fine and true in your character.
The little heart of you was as big as the dawn itself over the wide
hills. This was shown by your spontaneous impulse to rush in and kiss me
good night. Nothing else matters tonight, son. I have come to your
bedside in the darkness, and I have knelt there, ashamed!

It is a feeble atonement; I know you would not understand these things
if I told them to you during your waking hours. But tomorrow I will be a
real daddy! I will chum with you, and suffer when you suffer, and laugh
when you laugh. I will bite my tongue when impatient words come. I will
keep saying as if it were a ritual: "He is nothing but a boy - a little
boy!"

I am afraid I have visualized you as a man. Yet as I see you now, son,
crumpled and weary in your cot, I see that you are still a baby.
Yesterday you were in your mother's arms, your head on her shoulder. I
have asked too much, too much.

back to top 

 <http://www.bosweb.com.au/email_blast/templates/fathers/banner.jpg> 

News & Info

 
<http://www.bosweb.com.au/content/EB3TemplateImages/771/couplereading.jp
g>  

Dear Fatherhood Foundation

It's so good that there is an open door for this type of encouragement
to occur in our nation. May the Lord bless you, encourage, strengthen,
uphold and direct you and this organisation to fulfil all that He
desires. He is sovereign and Father. He would be beaming with gladness
that loved ones of His (you guys) are encouraging and empowering men to
step into the calling and positions that He has ordained.

I hope and pray that God will give you clearer strategy and ideas in
order to achieve His agenda for fathers in Australia.

My wife and I are expecting again by the middle of the year; I'm so
looking forward to be a dad again. I so enjoy my time with my son Sam.
My mum told me for many years prior to being married that I would be a
great dad, and I believe that the Lord has honoured her prayers and has
worked a harvest on those words to bring a reality. We really are the
product of words spoken over us.

May the Lord give you the relevant keys to opening up the doors that He
presents in front of you!

Be encouraged ( Num 6:24-26 ).
Dave Wilson. 

 

<http://www.bosweb.com.au/content/EB3TemplateImages/771/News%20&%20Info%
20pictures%20&%20logos_1.jpg> 

M.A.N. News 42

11 April 2006

M.A.N. News is the email newsletter produced by the Men?s Advisory
Network (M.A.N.) and goes to a distribution list of approximately 800
organisations and individuals.  M.A.N. is the peak body for service
providers, organisations and individuals concerned with men?s health,
wellbeing and other issues affecting males of all ages in Western
Australia.  It receives financial support from the Department of Health.
Short items are contained in this document, while longer articles that
are referred to as attachments, are available on the website:
www.man.org.au 

The articles that are contained in the newsletter are seen as making a
useful contribution to the understanding of the issues discussed.  The
views expressed in these articles do not have an official endorsement by
M.A.N.  Nor does MAN endorse any of the services that are featured.  You
should check to see that the service provides what you are seeking.  

Please circulate this newsletter to people on your email distribution
list and if they wish to receive future copies ask them to reply to:
[email-masked] 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

MercatorNet Weekly Update is a great family-friendly weekly web based
newsletter. Below is a message from Editor, Michael Cook:

This week is a bumper issue of MercatorNet. It features

a special issue on courtship and marriage -- an 

interview with well-known American family expert 

Maggie Gallagher, helpful hints for teenage dating, and 

a report on a Mexico City conference on educating children 

for love.

A web version of previous newsletters is available in our newsletter
archives. You can access this edition online as well. 

Check out the site for all the complete stories, latest media links,
etc: http://www.mercatornet.com 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

Emale - men's health and wellbeing e bulletin

Subscribe to my free monthly e-bulletin EMALE for all the latest
information on men's health and wellbeing.

Want to manage your weight better? Talk to me about Professor Trim's
Weight Loss Program for men.

Greg Millan, Men's Health Consultant 

Mobile: 0417 772 390 

Email: [email-masked]  PO Box 953 HAMILTON NSW 2303

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Dear Fatherhood Foundation

Just looking through your website and was wondering if it is still being
maintained as content is a bit old.

Thanks

Geoff

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

Dear Fatherhood Foundation

Yes I am also a single dad supporting two young girls/ladies in the
making. It is great to read your articles, some OK, some really
riveting. It was sad to read about Liam and what his bitch ex did. My ex
sees the girls about every 5-6 weeks, she lives 130km away. 

I was really proud of my young one as she had to attend the Dawn service
in a North Queensland town west of the coast. Why did she have to
attend? She is one of the School Captains and she wanted to also. My dad
and mum have just had their 60th wedding anniversary. Dad lives in
southern NSW and fought in WW2 with the Royal Navy. He was really
touched when he found out after the event. Yes I remember when I was a
teenager in the late 60's early 70's all my mates against ANZAC day. I
hate war but I love they fought for my freedom.

Yes that bit about mums nurture and dad's give identity touched me as my
girls seem to be against this non-sexist, political correct education
system. I have brought them up to be proud of who they are, as they are
the best one. 

Thanks for the spiritual support you offer, as I know if I was female
life would be easier, like the diggers don't whinge and make the best of
it. Everyday is a good day if you try to make it a God day.

Cheers and blessings to all the single dads, with and

especially without their children. 

Sincerely yours 

Mike

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

Dear Fatherhood Foundation

Can you please put me on your email list...thanks

He raises up the poor out of the dust. 

Lifts up the needy from the ash heap.

Psalm 113:7

'A Few Good Men' Web Page: 

http://www.ourchurch.com/view/?pageID=234743 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

Dear Fatherhood Foundation

It's so good that there is an open door for this type of encouragement
to occur in our nation. May the Lord bless you, encourage, strengthen,
uphold and direct you and this organisation to fulfil all that He
desires. He is sovereign and Father. He would be beaming with gladness
that loved ones of His (you guys) are encouraging and empowering men to
step into the calling and positions that He has ordained.

I hope and pray that God will give you clearer strategy and ideas in
order to achieve His agenda for fathers in Australia.

My wife and I are expecting again by the middle of the year; I'm so
looking forward to be a dad again. I so enjoy my time with my son Sam.
My mum told me for many years prior to being married that I would be a
great dad, and I believe that the Lord has honoured her prayers and has
worked a harvest on those words to bring a reality. We really are the
product of words spoken over us.

May the Lord give you the relevant keys to opening up the doors that He
presents in front of you!

Be encouraged (Num 6:24-26 ).

Dave Wilson.

back to top 

 <http://www.bosweb.com.au/email_blast/templates/fathers/banner.jpg> 

Dad's Prayer

Dear God

Thank you for those men

who fought for our freedom

on the Kokoda Track.

Thank you, Father, for the miracle

of the safe rescue of Todd Russell and Brant Webb.

Thank you for the wonderful example

of the Beaconsfield community

and all the rescue team.

Help us to do the same:

for our families,

for our country,

for the world. 

back to top 

 <http://www.bosweb.com.au/email_blast/templates/fathers/banner.jpg> 

About Us

Mission Statement & Help Us!

 
<http://www.bosweb.com.au/email_blast/client_images/fathers_issue163-10t
h%20October,2005_Foundation%20Logo%20180.jpg> 
Mission Statement 

The Fatherhood Foundation is a charitable, non profit incorporated
association with a goal to inspire men to a greater level of excellence
as fathers, by encouraging and educating them, thereby renewing and
empowering families.

Click here for more information about us
<http://www.bosweb.com.au/email_blast/rr.asp?s=3393&v=300&c=21&u=http://
www.ausheart.com.au/fathers/about/index.html>  

Help Us!

The Fatherhood Foundation believes that the key to life is giving.
That's why this newsletter is given freely without expectation.  Life is
also about relationships.  That's what being a good father is all about,
developing relationships with your loved ones.
 
If you would like to give financially to the Fatherhood Foundation,
please mail your cheque or money order to:
Fatherhood Foundation
PO Box 440
WOLLONGONG  NSW  2520
AUSTRALIA

You have received the fathersonline.org newsletter because you have
subscribed, or you have been subscribed by a friend.  If you do not wish
to receive future emails, please click the UNSUBSCRIBE button below or
send an email to [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the subject heading.

back to top 

	Click Here to Unsubscribe
<http://emailblast.bosweb.com.au/bwEMailBlast/optout/?CampaignID=849&Con
tactID=90915>