Subject: Super Size Me
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 09:43:05 +1100

<http://emailblast.bosweb.com.au/bwEMailBlast/tracker/read.asp?ReadID=93
0873> 
Unable to read this email? Please click here
<http://www.bosweb.com.au/bwEMailBlast/view.asp?CampaignMediaID=1410&Con
tactID=101438&ContactEmail=[email-masked]> 
 <http://www.bosweb.com.au/email_blast/templates/fathers/header.jpg> 
Issue 237 - 5th March, 2007 	Go to our website Here
<http://www.fathersonline.org/> 	 
 
<http://www.bosweb.com.au/email_blast/templates/fathers/inthisissue.jpg>
*	Hello Alison
*	Grandads
*	Laughter
*	Single Dads 
*	Special Feature
*	Thought of the Week
*	All You Need is Love
*	News & Info
*	Dad's Prayer
*	Help Us

Hello Alison

'Super Size Me' was the Academy
<http://www.bosweb.com.au/content/EB3TemplateImages/771/Hamburger%20man.
jpg> Award-nominated 2004 documentary film, directed by and starring
Morgan Spurlock, an independent American filmmaker. It follows a 30-day
time period (February 2003) during which Spurlock subsists exclusively
on McDonald's fast food and stops exercising regularly. The film
documents this lifestyle's drastic effects on Spurlock's physical and
psychological well-being and explores the fast food industry's corporate
influence, including how it encourages poor nutrition for its own
profit.

During the filming, Spurlock dined at McDonald's restaurants three times
a day, sampling every item on the chain's menu at least once. He
consumed an average of 5000 calories per day during the experiment.

Before launching this experiment, Spurlock, age 33, was healthy and
slim, with a body weight of 84.1 kg. (Spurlock is 1.88 m tall.) After
thirty days, he gained 11.1 kg, a 13% body mass increase, and his Body
Mass Index raised from 23.2 (within the 'healthy' range of 19-25) to 27
('overweight'). He also experienced mood swings, sexual dysfunction, and
nearly catastrophic liver damage. It took Spurlock fourteen months to
lose the weight he gained.

The driving factor for Spurlock's investigation was the increasing
spread of obesity throughout U.S. society, which the Surgeon General has
declared "epidemic." 

In February 2005, Super Size Me Educationally Enhanced DVD edition was
released. It is an edited version of the film designed to be integrated
into a high school health curriculum.

As the film begins, Spurlock is physically above average, as attested to
by three doctors (a cardiologist, a gastroenterologist, and a general
practitioner), whom he enlists to track his health during the month-long
binge. All three predict the "McMonth" will have unwelcome effects on
his body, but none expect anything too drastic, one citing the human
body as being "extremely adaptable."

Spurlock starts the month with a McBreakfast near his home in Manhattan,
where there is one McDonald's per ¼ mi² (0.6 km²). The month also sees
an increase in his use of taxis, as he aims to keep the distances he
walks in line with the 5000 steps walked per day by the average
American. Spurlock has several rules which govern his eating habits:

  He must fully eat three McDonald's meals a day. 

  He must sample every item on the McDonald's menu at least once over
the course of the 30 days. 

  He must only ingest items on the menu. This includes bottled water. 

  He must "Super Size" his meal whenever, and only when, the option is
offered to him. 

Day 2 brings Spurlock's first Super Size meal, which happens to be a
Double Quarter Pounder with Cheese meal, which takes him close to an
hour to eat. He experiences steadily increasing discomfort during the
process, which culminates in Spurlock vomiting in the parking lot.

After five days Spurlock has gained almost 5 kg. It is not long before
he finds himself with a feeling of depression, and not much longer until
he finds his bouts of depression, lethargy, and headaches are relieved
by a McDonald's meal. One doctor describes him as "addicted." He has
soon gained another 5 kg, putting his weight at 92 kg. By the end of the
month he weighs about 95.5 kg, an increase of almost 11 kg. Because he
could only eat McDonald's food for a month, Spurlock refused to take any
medication at all.

Around day 20, Spurlock experiences heart palpitations. Consultation
with his concerned general practitioner, Dr Daryl Isaacs, reveals that
Spurlock's liver is "pâté," and the doctor advises him to stop what he
is doing immediately to avoid any serious heart problems.

Spurlock makes it to day 30 and achieves his goal. In thirty days, he
"Supersized" his meals nine times along the way (five of which were in
Texas, the state with the highest number of "fat cities" in the US).
Text at the conclusion of the movie states that it took Spurlock five
months to lose 9 kg and another nine months to return to his original
weight.  All three doctors are surprised at the degree of deterioration
in Spurlock's health.

One could argue that this was an extreme experiment but it definitely
shows the dangers of over eating and not having a balanced diet. I must
admit, I will still go to McDonalds (but maybe not as much). My habit
began when my children used to order my wife and I to stop at the Golden
Arches before the logo was even within sight. Funny how our children can
spot the arches many kilometres down the road.

The fault of our obesity and ill health does not lie in McDonalds, but
in our own propensity to accept a high animal protein, high fat diet as
normal rather than to examine our diet and find what is really the best
for us. After all it would be nice to be around to enjoy our
grandchildren and great grandchildren.

Next week we will look at what to eat in order to live a long and
healthy life.

Lovework

You are what you eat! And you are teaching your children to become what
you are. Begin doing your own reasearch and look at how you can eat a
more balanced and healthy diet. 

The answer to the childhood obesity epidemic starts with us as fathers.
Next week I am going to hit you with a bombshell, so get ready, examine
your eating habits now.

Yours for healthy children

Warwick Marsh

 ___________________________________________________________

Warwick Marsh  has been married to Alison for 31 years. He is the father
of five children, four boys and one girl, ranging in age from 26 years
to 14 years.  Warwick is a musician, songwriter, producer and public
speaker who likes to think he can still laugh at himself.

back to top 

 <http://www.bosweb.com.au/email_blast/templates/fathers/banner.jpg> 

Grandads

 
<http://www.bosweb.com.au/content/EB3TemplateImages/771/children%20runni
ng.jpg> 

Children are our most valuable natural resource

Herbert Hoover

back to top 

 <http://www.bosweb.com.au/email_blast/templates/fathers/banner.jpg> 

Laughter

 
<http://www.bosweb.com.au/content/EB3TemplateImages/771/mobile%20phone.j
pg> 

 

The latest in fashion accessories

 

A new hands free mobile phone that acts as an earing and saves you
holding your phone for all those important and long calls to your
friends.

Sold in three sizes, subject to having an earlob to put it in. 

Haven't got an earlob! We can sell those to you too. 

Now a phone that never leaves your ear.

(Shower versions are under development.)

back to top 

 <http://www.bosweb.com.au/email_blast/templates/fathers/banner.jpg> 

Single Dads 

 
<http://www.bosweb.com.au/content/EB3TemplateImages/771/Internet-Cafe.jp
g> It is strange how things happen. If you had told me 7 years ago that
I would be sitting here in an internet cafe in Bournemouth UK I would of
thought you were crazy but here I am, thinking maybe I am a little
crazy. I have been to the bottom of the barrel, risen up again and taken
many dives over the past 7 years. Here I am on the last leg of a
journey, a quest if you like, to connect with my son. When I first
decided to do this trip I had absolutely no desire to see Europe
whatsoever, my only reason was to reconnect somehow with my now 21 year
old son. I was originally to come over for his birthday but as many of
you know my daughter fell ill and I couldn't make it. We have just
finished the trip and are now in Bournemouth where he lives with some
Aussie mates.

I guess the question many of you will be asking if you have read the
previous articles, is did I succeed? Yesterday I felt I could just jump
on the first plane home. It would be so easy. But what would I be
leaving behind? As a dad what would I be teaching him? I have found many
quiet places on this trip to have a cry. I could have given up 3 weeks
ago to be honest. That would have been easy, so easy, but I am
determined somehow to reach into this heart of his and give him
something of myself.

When we arrived here his friends all came over for a party. They have
set up a bar called the 'Ginger Abo Hotel' up in the attic where my son
sleeps. The place is decked out like a real bar and the walls and
ceiling are covered with the photos of him, his friends and visitors
obviously having one hell of a time. It really is something to see. But
most important to me was to meet his friends. You know, my father always
said to me 'if you can count your friends on one hand you are doin
well'. My son has many friends and it was obvious to me that he is so
loved. He may not like me saying it that way but the truth is that he
is. And I am very proud of him. His friends have made me feel very
welcome, have taken me sightseeing and I have to say we have had more
than a few drinks together. They say 5 beers is a meal, well I can tell
you we are all eating 5 square meals a day. They even introduced me to a
drink called 'snakebite', as the name suggests, it packs a wallop. But
it's all fun and it has enabled me to see into each of these beautiful
young people's hearts. And as I said previously, I am proud of my young
bloke and the friends he has made.

But I have to say, it totally amazes me with young people these days.
They get ready to go out at the time I would normally be going to bed.
And then like some strange breed of vampires they party all night and
once the sun starts to come up they withdraw back into their rooms not
resurfacing again until night. Amazing!

In the movie 'Click' which I saw prior to making this trip I saw a
reflection of myself. I guess that's why in many scenes I was reduced to
a blubbering mess. It cemented in my mind why I was making this trip.
It's not easy looking at yourself. I mean really looking at yourself.
Years ago I looked in the mirror and I didn't like what I saw. I have
set about on a journey to try and make up for that person I used to be.
Sometimes I feel I have succeeded in some small way, other times I feel
I have made little headway. But that's what it is all about isn't it?
One step forward, ten back, but you keep moving forward, you keep going,
you keep pushing the limits. The trick is while you are focussing on
your destination to not forget the journey, the ones you love and who
love you, your family, your friends and to see the goodness in the
people you meet along the way.

 

Back to, have I succeeded? Well I guess you need to make your own mind
up on that. I didn't think I had to be honest until one of his friends
told me to go look in his room. I did and there on the wall was a
picture of me from a national newspaper story I did some time ago. And
straight underneath it was a copy of my award nomination for Australian
of the Year last year. His friend said, 'He is very proud of you. Do you
know he proudly read out that newspaper story to everyone one night'. He
is really proud of you. He kept on saying that's my dad, that's my dad.
I have to tell you I got a lump in my throat and shed a few more tears
on hearing that.

And how's things going? Well few words are spoken but I'm his dad and I
guess that's just how things are sometimes. Maybe we need as dads to
just step back a little and allow them the space to come to us rather
then us taking it to them. I'm just kinda standing in the background at
the moment. He knows I am there and I guess that's enough at the moment,
just to know you're there.

Tony Miller

dids 

www.dadsindistress.asn.au <http://www.dadsindistress.asn.au/>  

back to top 

 <http://www.bosweb.com.au/email_blast/templates/fathers/banner.jpg> 

Special Feature

 

PARENTS SUFFER 

WHEN CHILDREN DIVORCE
<http://www.bosweb.com.au/content/EB3TemplateImages/771/divorce-main.jpg
> 

The Baltimore Sun, The Middle Ages

By Linell Smith - February 25, 2007

Parents suffer when children divorce.

A son or daughter's marital split can trigger feelings of guilt, anger
and betrayal.

Researching the effects of divorce, author Marsha Temlock talked to many
baby boomers about betrayal, financial turmoil and the sting of gossip.
She heard tales of hostility, resentment -- even guilt. Before long, the
writer knew she had the foundation of a self-help book for an overlooked
audience: The parents of divorcing couples.

If roughly a million people get divorced each year in the United States,
as many as four million parents may also feel pain, anger and
bewilderment when their cherished family vision explodes.

"Even those parents who were pleased their child had escaped a bad
situation felt their lives had been changed by their divorce," Temlock
says. "Often, they were suddenly struggling to support two families, or
their children were returning to their home, or they were reassuming the
caretaking role. If they were divorced themselves, they might be
thinking, 'If I had stuck it out, maybe my kids would have been better
off.'"

Your Child's Divorce: What to Expect -What You Can Do (Impact
Publishers) walks parents through five stages of divorce: Accepting the
news; rescuing your child; responding to change; stabilizing the family,
and finally, refocusing and rebuilding the family, often with a new
in-law.

"I know many parents think of their child's divorce in terms of loss.
Others ... call it a new beginning," Temlock writes. "I see it as a
continuum, another one of life's challenges with new parental tasks, new
obstacles and new rewards. It's playing different roles at different
stages in their child's divorce journey, knowing when to move to the
foreground and when to step back."

You might consider this book another course in the lifelong curriculum
of parenting.

Should you let your son or daughter move back home? For how long? How do
you construct boundaries to keep from being consumed by your child's
problems? How do you keep in touch with your ex-in-law without being
disloyal to your child? How do you adjust to the role of
step-grandparent when your son or daughter remarries? How do you change
and broaden your view of your family?

A vocational counsellor and freelance writer in Westport, Conn., Temlock
grappled with some of these questions after her own two children got a
divorce.

"I felt as if our family had fallen off a cliff," Temlock, 62, says. "My
husband and I have been married for 42 years. We both come from a long
line of solid marriages."

When she couldn't find a book to help, she decided to write one - but
not about her own experience. Instead, she interviewed dozens of other
parents who also felt they were trailblazing new emotional ground.

"If my book were available for my parents' generation, I don't think
they would have consulted it," she says. "They'd have been too engaged
in denial. If divorce wasn't quite swept under the carpet, it wasn't
something that parents wanted to get involved in. Having gone through
the whole marital revolution of the '50s and '60s, today's parents are
more understanding of the fact their children are more likely to get
divorced."

Different expectations Although national divorce statistics are
difficult to come by -- such large states as California and Georgia have
not supplied divorce figures in recent

years -- Maryland had 17,111 divorces in 2005, according to the state's
vital statistics. (There were 37,572 marriages.)

A little more than half of the state's divorces consisted of marriages
of fewer than nine years.

Attorney Sally B. Gold, who practices family law in Baltimore, says some
clients in their 20s and 30s view divorce through the filter of their
own parents' broken marriages.

"Some may be determined to stay married. But others may not have the
same degree of angst," she says. "They may think 'It's OK. We've tried
this and we're moving on.' Letting go may be a little bit easier."

Over the past 40 years, she notes, the women's movement has brought
women closer to equality in the workplace, giving them more courage, and
ability, to end bad marriages.

It has also made parents more tolerant of such decisions.

back to top 

 <http://www.bosweb.com.au/email_blast/templates/fathers/banner.jpg> 

Thought of the Week

 

<http://www.bosweb.com.au/content/EB3TemplateImages/771/obese_kids_5.jpg
> One-third of our children are overweight in this country 

or at risk of becoming overweight. 

Our kids are increasingly fall prey to a 

form of diabetes 

that used to be seen only in adults, 

and children nowtake more prescription drugs 

than ever before . . .

These issues all come down to three things: 

breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Dr Colin Campbell

back to top 

 <http://www.bosweb.com.au/email_blast/templates/fathers/banner.jpg> 

All You Need is Love

  

SEXLESS IS NOT A MARRIAGE
<http://www.bosweb.com.au/content/EB3TemplateImages/771/marraige%20coupl
e_sexless.jpg> 

Expert: A Sexless Marriage Is Not A Marriage

WCCO: Minneapolis, MN

Jeanette Trompeter

Society is preoccupied with sex, but the reality is many people who
ought to be enjoying it the most often are actually doing it the least,
according to experts.

"A couple's sex life is the number one best barometer of how well their
marriage is going," said Dr. John Friel, psychologist and bestselling
author.

Marriage, he says, is by definition a sexual relationship, and if sex
has gone by the wayside, so too has the marriage. If you are in a
sexless marriage, "you can't call it a marriage. You can call it a
friendship. You can call it a working, parenting relationship."

Couples with two jobs, two cars and two kids say they're often too
tired, too stressed and too bored when they do manage to find one-on-one
time.

"They're really good business partners in the business of shuttling
their kids from one hockey game to the next, going to band practices,
making sure homework gets done," said Friel, who stressed letting a
marriage's sex life die shouldn't be an option for those who want to
stay happily married, "because it isn't about sex. It's about being
connected and about nurturing each other."

Intimacy, said Friel, is not just found between the sheets but in the
day to day details of life. If a couple does not nurture each other in
that process, the connection in the bedroom will eventually suffer.

"The research all shows that a good sex life is the glue that holds a
couple together," said Friel.

Another barometer of how intimate we are is how we argue ... or, for
that matter, how we don't argue, according to Friel. Every relationship
has its share of conflict, and expressing it is key to building a
healthy relationship.

From http://www.smartmarriages.com <http://www.smartmarriages.com/> . 

back to top 

 <http://www.bosweb.com.au/email_blast/templates/fathers/banner.jpg> 

News & Info

 

What is prostate cancer?
<http://www.bosweb.com.au/content/EB3TemplateImages/771/prostarte%20imag
e.jpg> 

Prostate cancer develops when the cells in the prostate gland grow more
quickly than in a normal prostate, forming a malignant lump or tumour.

Most prostate cancers grow slower than other types of cancer. 

Early (or localised) prostate cancer is growth that has not spread
beyond the prostate. Some prostate cancers may spread to other parts of
the body, such as the bones and lymph nodes. This is called advanced
prostate cancer.

How common is it?

Prostate cancer is the most common cancer in Australian men. Based on
2002 figures, one in 11 men in NSW will develop prostate cancer by the
age of 75 years. 

It occurs mainly in men aged over 65 and is uncommon in men under 50. If
you have a father or brother who has had prostate cancer, your chance of
developing the disease may be higher and it may begin at a younger age.

For further information:

http://www.cancercouncil.com.au/editorial.asp?pageid=85
<http://www.cancercouncil.com.au/editorial.asp?pageid=85>  

* * * * * * *

Daddy's Pride

18 March, 07, Rome
<http://www.bosweb.com.au/content/EB3TemplateImages/771/DADDYbandiere2.j
pg>      

 

 

 

Armata Dei Padri, Batalhao Dos Papàs, 

Armada De Los Padres, Dad's Army

- It All Spells Love -

The 'Fathers Movement' or 'Dad's Army? is not comprised of dangerous,
hateful men, as some organized feminist groups and female victims of
abuse would like you to believe. They are men who love their children,
want more time with them, in some cases any time with them, and/or who
are concerned for their safety. When they fight for sole custody they
truly believe, and usually have proof, their children are in danger.
From my close association with members around the world for the last
four years, I can tell you almost all of the fathers I?ve met just want
equal time and responsibility for their children. These men are to be
commended, not feared. T. Stoddard 1/07

If you are a dad, you cannot miss this international dad's conference
March 18, 2007 in Rome, and online.

The pacifist movement 'Dad's Army' is organizing this first-time annual
event. Every person and association from everywhere in the world can
join in this meeting by sending a simple email message.

Include a link to your website and send to: [email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]>  

* * * 

The Father's Rights documentary will be shown in Rome on Saturday, March
17th in the evening and on Monday, March 19th in the evening. As you
know, the 18th of March is the international Dad's Pride March, people
from all over the world including journalists from USA given this is the
first time such an event is taking place. 

The documentary will also go on air on ROMA UNO on March 19th. 

Try and notify as many as possible. The person who is organizing this is
also a political candidate. One can also visit
http://www.daddyspride.it/ <http://www.daddyspride.it/>   where you can
find by scrolling down, information translated in several languages.  

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Mens Health and Wellbeing Assoc (QLD) 

In these busy, often stressful times, a simple sense of wellbeing can be
as elusive as a good soaking rain in a drought-stricken farm. For many
men, joining in the company of other men to do a good deed, or to
explore our masculinity in a safe and supportive way, or to simply
hang-out without fear of judgement or competition, can bring in the
welcome clouds and momentarily drench our worlds. 

The Men's Health and Wellbeing Association invites you to grab your
diary and give yourself the gift of a few hours or a few days in the
company of other men, and perhaps in the process enjoy a good long soak
of wellbeing in these otherwise dry times. 

Manshine Men's Gathering - 4-7th May at Sunshine Coast

Common Ground Facilitator Training - 8-11th March in Maleny

Blokes Day Out - 24th March in Noosa

?The Rock' Bush Retreat Working Bee - 25-26th March

Pathways to Manhood Camp - 24-28th April at The Rock

Pathways Facilitator Training - 21-24th June 

For more details: www.mhwaq.org.au <http://www.mhwaq.org.au/>   

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

<http://www.bosweb.com.au/content/EB3TemplateImages/771/drought_feet.jpg
> 

Australia's Drought

A Call to Pray and Fast

Forty Days of Prayer & Preparation 

beginning Australia Day - 26 Jan 07

The current drought, which is affecting most parts of southern and
eastern Australia, is currently reaching crisis proportions. Chris
Davis, CEO of the Australian Water Association, says the drought has
surpassed the Federation drought of 1895-1902. As the worst drought on
record, Blair Trewin, one of the authors of the enclosed 12 month
drought report from the Bureau of Meteorology, is more cautious than
Chris Davis and his assessment is that some parts of South Eastern
Australia and Southern and South Western Australia are not as bad as the
Federation drought but some areas are much worse. The final Annual
Climate Statement 2006 from the Bureau of Meteorology is also attached
or follow the link: 

http://www.bom.gov.au/announcements/media_releases/climate/change/200701
03.shtml
<http://www.bom.gov.au/announcements/media_releases/climate/change/20070
103.shtml>   

 

Dam levels for capital cities: 

 BRISBANE: 21.72% 

SYDNEY: 37.10% 

CANBERRA: 34.81% 

MELBOURNE: 34.2% 

HOBART: 94.00% 

ADELAIDE: 55.00 % 

PERTH: 25.00% 

DARWIN: 81% 

Source: ActewAGL, Melbourne Water, Sydney Catchment Authority, SA Water,
SEQ Water and Water Corporation

Come and Pray for the Drought 

at the National Solemn Assembly

 

 <http://www.bosweb.com.au/content/EB3TemplateImages/771/NAS.JPG> . 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

back to top 

 <http://www.bosweb.com.au/email_blast/templates/fathers/banner.jpg> 

Dad's Prayer

 

Dear God

How come, every where I look these days,

All I can see is fast food restaurants?

When I turn on the TV

All they advertise is food, food, food.

 <http://www.bosweb.com.au/content/EB3TemplateImages/771/obesechild.jpg>
Tell me, why are my children getting fat?

Maybe it's because I can't stop myself eating.

Help me not to become super-sized in my body fat, 

but I would love your help

to be super-sized in my heart.

back to top 

 <http://www.bosweb.com.au/email_blast/templates/fathers/banner.jpg> 

Help Us

Click here for more information about us
<http://www.ausheart.com.au/fathers/about/index.html>  

Help Us!

The Fatherhood Foundation is a Harm Prevention Charity. 
Fatherlessness and inadequate fathering has been proven to be a source
of harm. 

The Fatherhood Foundation helps children by promoting excellence  in
fathering. Excellent fathers are in word and deed: responsible,
involved, protective, loving and committed to the well-being of their
children and their children's mother.

If you would like to give financially to the Fatherhood Foundation
Public Fund and receive tax deductibility:

Fatherhood Foundation Public Fund 
(Name, address and amount details must be emailed for a receipt for tax
deductibility)
Westpac Branch Wollongong
BSB: 032 695
A/C: 25-5558 

Or mail cheque and address details to:
PO Box 440
WOLLONGONG  NSW  2520
AUSTRALIA

The Fatherhood Foundation Public Fund  is a public fund listed on the
Register of Harm Prevention Charities under Subdivision 30_EA of the
Income Tax Assessment Act 1997.

You have received the fathersonline.org newsletter because you have
subscribed, or you have been subscribed by a friend.  If you do not wish
to receive future emails, please click the UNSUBSCRIBE button below or
send an email to [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the subject heading.

back to top 

	Click Here to Unsubscribe
<http://emailblast.bosweb.com.au/bwEMailBlast/optout/?CampaignID=1358&Co
ntactID=101438>